Monday, February 8, 2010

What software is needed to make music on my computer with an M-Audio Keystation 49e midi controller keyboard?

I have the wires and plugs for an M-Audio 49e Keystation, but I got it secondhand without any of the software that I'm guessing came with it. I can download all the drivers from the M-Audio website, but because it is only a midi CONTROLLER, I know I must need a separate piece of software to make it play the notes it sends. Anyone know what programs will do it? Doesn't need to be freeware. I already own Audacity and Adobe Audition.





Thanks!What software is needed to make music on my computer with an M-Audio Keystation 49e midi controller keyboard?
Since the Keystation is a MIDI controller, you need some sort of sound generation program to control (sorry if this is obvious...not sure what level to start with).





I'm a professional keyboard player, and have all sorts of hardware and software synths I've accumulated over the years, from an old Fender Rhodes to a Kurzweil K2600xs (my main axe).





So it really depends what kind of music you want to make. Dance music? Get a module that specializes in loop stuff. Basic all-around stuff? Get a cheap standard polysynth.





But if you want to record multitrack, you're probably talking the light versions of Cubase or Cakewalk for starters. They'll typically have built-in synth plug ins that will work well, and you can find the entry level versions in most office superstores like Staples, Office Max and the like.





Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment